Swedish Railway Models – Steam Locomotives

E

Between 1907 and 1920, 130 steam locomotives type E were delivered to SJ. Manufacturers were Nya AB Atlas in Stockholm, Nydqvist & Holm AB in Trollhättan, Vagn och Maskinfabriken in Falun and AB Motala Verkstad. The two cylinders were placed inside the framework and the boilers were constructed with superheaters. The locomotives were delivered with three-axle tenders. The last E locomotives were taken out of service in 1972.

  • Jeco teamed up with Liliput to produce a model of the E loco from 2017.

E2

In order to improve riding properties and increase speed, a total of 90 0-8-0 locomotives type E were rebuilt by extending the framework, installing a front pony truck (thus 2-8-0) and advancing the steam boiler in the framework (during 1935-51). In addition to three-axle tenders type L, four-axle tenders type A and three-axle tenders type C2 were used with the E2. E2 1194 pulled as the last active steam operating locomotive passenger train for SJK on March 31, 1972. Many locomotives went to the strategic reserve in the 1960s.

  • Jeco Teamed up with Liliput to produce a model of the E2 loco from 2019.

F

Since the high-speed loco type A from 1906-09 proved too weak, a new powerful high-speed loco was needed. To guard against a rapid future development, the locomotives were made for speeds far above what was allowed at SJ at this time and also became the largest conventional steam locomotives that existed at SJ. To get a good economy, the locomotives were designed as four-cylinder compound locomotives. The first F locomotive, 1200, was exhibited at the Baltic Exhibition in Malmö in 1914. The F locomotives were then mainly deployed on the Stockholm-Malmö line and after the electrification of the Southern Main Line, the locomotives were transferred to the West Coast Line (Göteborg-Malmö). Loco 1200 was, in 1918, involved in Sweden’s worst train accident to date, the Getå accident. The embankment along Bråviken gave way and a whole express train followed, this due to heavy rain having soaked up the mud under the embankment. The locomotive was salvaged and soon came back into service. When the West Coast Line was electrified, the 11 locomotives were decommissioned and were sold in 1937 to DSB to become class E, where most locomotives served until 1970. (And DSB liked them so much, that they built many more!) DSB E 964, formerly SJ 1200, was sent back to Sweden after decommissioning and later DSB E 966, formerly SJ 1202, was purchased by the Swedish Railway Museum, also.

  • Heljan has produced a ready-to-run model of the “F” locomotive, but it is a very poor performer.
  • Keyser produced a kit for the “F” locomotive from 1981.

Ga

In an attempt to push the high locomotive prices in Sweden during the First World War, SJ ordered, in 1916, twenty freight train locomotives of the Prussian type G8.1 from Linke-Hofmann-Werke, Breslau in Germany. After a significant delay, these locomotives were delivered in 1918 and received the letter G; which from 1919 changed to Ga. The locomotive had a superheated boiler with external cylinders and a respectable tractive effort. The locomotives were strong and reliable, but they soon proved to have some quality problems. The German boilers were soon worn out and replaced with Swedish boilers of the standard type, so-called BGb boilers. These new boilers were fitted in 1929-1932 and the rebuilt locomotives were then given the letter Ga2, later G2. A couple later received front pony trucks, and became Ga3/G3 and Ga4/G4 in 1940 and 1941.

  • Fleischmann produced a model of this locomotive, but although available with Swedish markings, the fittings are not typical of the Swedish examples.
  • Piko also produced the Ga, in a Swedish livery as locomotive No. 1423,
  • Märklin has produced the Ga also, but as a very limited edition for their 3-rail system only.
  • Trix has also produced a very limited edition 2-rail version of the Märklin model.

K24

Like many other private railways, the Nässjö-Oskarshamns Järnväg took advantage of the low locomotive prices in Germany after the First World War and ordered a new shunting locomotive from Orenstein & Koppel in Berlin.

To keep the price low, the locomotive was built according to the Prussian state railways’ famous T3 type for shunting and local trains, which was a proven, albeit ancient, construction. The locomotive was thus designed as a tank with coal storage in front of the cab and the firebox behind the rearmost axle. The locomotive was also the only normal gauge O&K locomotive owned by a Swedish railway. At the nationalisation, the locomotive became SJ type K24 and given the number 1776 (previously NOJ 29). It survived until 1964.

  • Liliput made a model of the Prussian T3 type, and therefore as SJ K24, but the number decals have changed with the various releases of the model! Ours has the number 1775 (which was a solitary K23 – a Nydqvist & Holm six-coupled saddle tank); but there are others; only 1776 is authentic!

Sa

For passenger trains over medium distances, a six-coupled tank locomotive type with external cylinders was procured in 1908. The locomotive (type S) quickly became popular and until 1916, 46 locomotives of this type were acquired. Later built locomotives got a larger steam boiler than the earlier ones, and larger storage (water: 8m². Coal: 2.2 tons). The type was changed in 1916 to Sa and in 1942 became S again. Sa 1280 and 1252 were equipped with coal powder firing. In the 1930s, several locomotives were sold to various private railways (CHJ, UVHJ, MSJ, TGOJ, L&HJ and CVJ) and all but the TGOJ locomotives returned to SJ in connection with the railway nationalisation and regained their old numbers. S 1054 had 1937-38 been rebuilt to a tender locomotive by UWHJ but the locomotive was restored in 1946 to its original condition. The last S-locomotive was withdrawn in 1964.

  • Märklin produced this model quite recently, but only in a set with three wooden bodied coaches.
  • Trix released the Märklin set as a 2-rail version.